Friday, January 29, 2010


When I first got my C400 I wanted an outboard that could get the dinghy up on plane. I purchased a 15hp Mercury which was, at the time, the lightest 15hp motor. I thought that I could handle it as far as maneuvering it around the boat and getting it mounted on the dinghy. Was I ever wrong!!! It wasn't the weight, it was the awkwardness! I read on the original Sailnet C400 list about the Garhauer motor lifting davit and purchased one for "Cygnus." This has been one of the best modifications I have ever done! The first picture shows the davit directly over an Edson motor mount which I installed to handle the weight of the Mercury. The second picture shows the outboard ready to be lifted off the mount, swung out over the water, and lowered down to the dinghy's transom. What a lifesaver, now I have the engine I wanted and don't have to deal with the weight and awkwardness. The motor mount is on the side rail because there was no room on the stern and the motor is mounted inside of the rail to make maneuvering around docks easier.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is awesome! I've hurt my back a few times lifting my outboard of of here and getting it onto the dingy. I'm going to look into this. Thanks for posting it. I have a C-400 as well, and I saw your link on the C400 web site.

    - Avi (rubin@jhu.edu)

    ReplyDelete