Thursday, January 28, 2010


Towing the dinghy or having it on deck got old very fast. So I added hanging davits. This project turned into more than I had ever thought it could be!!! The davits are made by "Kato" and are VERY well built. Every piece of tubing is one size bigger than any of their competitors. Kato originally provided two stainless straps that formed a V from the inside of the coaming to the top rail. This might have helped except for the fact that the davits are free floating where they attach to the top rail. So, when the dinghy was lifted and the boat was pounding in heavy seas the top rail started to bend downward. I then added a brace to fix the distance between the top and bottom rail and to help distribute some of the load to the bottom rail. This helped, but now the top rail started bending outward. Next a brace was added between the top rail and the swim platform to stop the top rail from bending outward. This reinforcement was definitely the most effective and probably should have been the first one. It has an added benefit of giving you something to hold onto when climbing out of the water using the boarding ladder. My wife has commented that she doesn't know how she got out of the water before I added these braces! The last brace was added because all of the other stresses on the rail had started to bend the stern seats downward. I lifted the seats back into their proper position using a halyard and then added a brace from the bottom of the seat to the hull. I love my davits, but I sure didn't know what I was getting into when I started!




No comments:

Post a Comment